The Pregnancy Glow!
Dr. Walter’s Tips to keep your bundle-of-joy safe while your skin shines
At Studio 17 Cosmetics & Wellness we are committed to guiding our mommies-to-be during this incredible process while keeping you and baby safe.
Think of pregnancy as a time to revamp your skincare routine with products specially created to pamper your evolving skin. Here are some of our favorites at Studio 17 Cosmetics & Wellness that get the job done!
TOP 5 - What to avoid in pregnancy and why:
1. Retinoids / retinol – sadly, our favorite anti-aging and acne-blasting product is an absolute NO in pregnancy and breastfeeding. These products are vitamin A derivatives, and are absorbed by the skin. While it works wonders to prevent aging, it can hinder fetal development and lead to birth defects. Examples: Differin, Renova, Retin-A, retinols, retinyl palmitate and Tazorac
2. Tetracycline – Tetracyclines are a type of antibiotic used to treat a wide variety of infections. In pregnancy, tetracyclines can cause
inhibition of bone growth and discoloration of teeth in a growing baby, therefore, are contraindicated! Examples: Doxycycline, Chlortetracycline, Sumycin, Actisite
3. Hydroquinone – Hydroquinone is a topical, brightening agent used to treat and diminish hyperpigmentation diseases. Unfortunately, it is systemically absorbed into the body when applied topically, therefore an absolute NO in pregnancy and breastfeeding.
4. Salicylic acid – Many topical products used to treat acne contain salicylic acid. These products in high concentration are contraindicated in pregnancy, but can be used while breastfeeding if it is less than 2%.
5. Benzoyl peroxide – Benzoyl peroxide is used widely to treat acne and can be found in many over-the-counter products. It can be used after the first trimester to spot treat acne and blemishes for a short- term.
TOP 5 - Pregnancy safe compounds
1. Glycolic acids
2. Azelaic acids
3. Vit C & E
4. Hyaluronic acid